History

THE DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE

Architectural education in Thailand was pioneered by Professor Nart Potiprasart who, after completing architectural studies at the University of Liverpool on a Thai government scholarship, returned to Thailand to accept a civil service position as Professor in trade and technical studies in 1930. He piloted a 2-year architecture program that enrolled approximately 30 students in its inaugural year. Persuaded by the program’s success, the Ministry of Education and Ecclesiastical Affairs directed that the program be reassigned to Chulalongkorn University in 1932.

The program, now housed within Chulalongkorn University, was originally organized to be one of two departments within the Faculty of Engineering but the distinctive curricula and objectives of an architectural education argued for its independence from the discipline of engineering. Having achieved greater autonomy, the department relocated to facilities on loan from the Ministry of Fine Arts. The first cohort to complete the 3-year diploma in architecture in 1935 consisted of 11 students.

In 1939 the University formally recognized the Faculty of Architecture with the authority to award degrees for a 5-year course of study in architecture. In 1943, the Faculty was subdivided into the departments of architecture, fine and applied arts and urban planning, with the latter two disciplines occupying a supporting position to the core of architectural education. Over time these disciplines developed into comprehensive programs granting separate degrees.

page_history